Land of the Free and Home of the Brave

Land of the Free and Home of the Brave

ADDITIONAL MENU

Veterans Day is a special day for everyone in America. It is a day we honor those who fought for our country so that we may live in peace. For Zyaria Gary, a fourth-year nursing student, it means more.

“Veterans Day is a day that I celebrate to honor and appreciate all those who have dedicated their lives to this country,” Gary said. 

In 2020, Gary left Coker momentarily because of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, she was tired of being stuck in the house. She wanted to broaden her horizons and challenge herself during a period of uncertainty. 

Her mother mentioned the military, so she decided to look into joining. 

“I always had my life planned out accordingly and never thought of doing anything that was not in my plan,” Gary said. “I decided to join the military because I wanted to do something out of my comfort zone.” 

College and military enrollment is sometimes hectic, Gary said. Her different schedules often interfere. 

Her military unit and professors at Coker take extra lengths to work with her schedule so she does not miss out on anything.

“Going to school and being in the military is all about balance and planning,” Gary said. 

Gary hopes to become an ER or labor and delivery nurse after graduating from Coker.  

The Coker community would like to thank those who serve in the military. Without your service, we would not be where we are today.

###