Coker College Awards 2019 Excellence in Teaching Scholarships

ADDITIONAL MENU

Coker College recently awarded full-tuition Excellence in Teaching scholarships to two deserving Teachers of the Year: a M.Ed. in Literacy Studies scholarship was awarded to Joshua Jennings, an English teacher and chair of the English department at Lake City Early College High School in Lake City and 2018-2019 Teacher of the Year for Florence District 3, and a M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instructional Technology scholarship was awarded to Terry Ann Grandison, a 2nd grade teacher at Washington Street Elementary School and 2018-2019 Teacher of the Year for Washington Street Elementary School.

In addition to two applicants receiving a full scholarship for the entirety of their graduate program, Coker’s Excellence in Teaching Scholarship offers any eligible K-12 educator who has been designated as a Teacher of the Year by their school, district, or the S.C. Department of Education a term of graduate coursework at no cost, a savings of approximately $1500.

“It is a tremendous honor to receive Coker College's Excellence in Teaching Scholarship,” says Joshua Jennings PC-Apollos BowJennings. “I look forward to continuing my growth as an educator alongside the other members of my cohort."

Coker College offers two unique, 100% online M.Ed. programs with specializations in Literacy Studies and Curriculum/Instructional Technology.

Lacey Rice-Serafin, Director of Graduate Admissions at Coker College says, “We had an exceptional group of applicants for the scholarship again this year. Coker's graduate offerings are continually growing, and this year having moved our delivery to 100% online for all M.Ed. programs has allowed us to reach more teachers from all across the state. I understand how beneficial this scholarship is; not only for the teachers and their professional growth, but the ripple effect it has on the students they teach every day. Without this scholarship, many teachers wouldn't be able to further their own education. I'm so proud we can continue to offer this significant award.”

Coker’s Dean of the Wiggins School of Education, Dr. Karen Carpenter, and Rice-Serafin, surprised Grandison at Washington Street Elementary School earlier this week with the good news.

Terry Ann GrandisonGrandison says, “I applaud Coker College for extending educators this amazing opportunity for professional growth and development. I'm thrilled and humbled to be a recipient of this once in a lifetime opportunity. It is with esteemed merit that I am now able to pursue my master's degree in curriculum instruction and technology so as to provide a greater impact to my students, school and district. I live by the motto that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...ensure that step is bold, courageous and embodies fortitude. I'm excited as I now continue to venture and take another step on my journey.”

All scholarship applicants submitted a portfolio with an innovation and leadership statement, their philosophy of teaching, and an educational issues and trend statement. Portfolios are reviewed by the Wiggin's School of Education's Graduate Committee.

There are still openings for the upcoming M.Ed. cohorts for both programs; the next cohort start date is June 24, 2019. Interested applicants can apply here.

The 2020 Excellence in Teaching scholarship applications are due May 1, 2020. More information is available here.

For more information about Coker’s master’s programs, please visit coker.edu/masters.

Photo credit for Terry Ann Grandison: Seth Johnson, Coker College. Photo credit for Joshua Jennings: Apollo’s Bow.

###