Coker College

Kalmia Gardens

RSS Feed

Kalmia Gardens of Coker College has been open to the public since 1935 and includes many exotic ornamentals planted by Mrs. David Robert Coker, the garden’s founder. When the Coker family acquired the land in 1932, “Miss May” began transforming what was then a desolate area into a place of tranquility and beauty, creating many trails that lead down to Black Creek. She gave Kalmia Gardens to Coker College in 1965 as a memorial to her late husband. In 2002, her daughter established the Joslin Education Center at the Gardens.

Our Latest Story!

Kalmia Removing Invasive Species, Restoring  Habitat

Kalmia Gardens of Coker College recently received a $10,000 grant from the Duke Energy Foundation to restore the Gardens’ natural habitat through the removal of nonnative invasive plant species (NNIS).

Our Latest Story!

Kalmia Removing Invasive Species, Restoring  Habitat

$10,000 grant from the Duke Energy Foundation will make this effort possible.
Kalmia Gardens of Coker College recently received a $10,000 grant from the Duke Energy Foundation to restore the Gardens’ natural habitat through the removal of nonnative invasive plant species (NNIS).