Take 10 with Jonathan Garren

A Q&A with Coker College's Instruction and Outreach Librarian, Jonathan Garren

1. Hometown? Greenville, SC

2. Hobbies? Writing, reading, hiking, running, long sessions of listening to music, mainly anything that allows me to decompress and reflect.

3. What's the best way to start the day? First, this is a great question. Second, I'm a morning person so I love experiencing the actual start of the day. There is nothing like watching the world wake up with a warm cat (or dog) on your lap, drinking a cup of coffee (bold dark roast, black), and listening to some good music (like Billy Joel or anything 80s).

4. Top three places you want to visit? Japan is at the top of the list for anime and Haruki Murakami reasons. Australia because I have always wanted to attend the Australian Open and cage dive with sharks in the same trip. Hike the entire Appalachian Trail - not really a singular place to visit as opposed to an experience, but I feel like it counts.

5. What is something your friends would consider "so you"? Innocent something: making obscure references to things. Not so Innocent Something: my sense of humor has been dubbed "Forever 13" by my friends, so take that as you will.

6. Favorite restaurant in Hartsville? Toss up between Sam Kendall's and Bow Thai.

7. What are you most thankful for? Aside from my close friends and family, I would say my cat, Harry. Dude has been with me since I graduated Clemson as an undergrad. I'm also thankful to be doing what I'm doing and living day-by-day. It's simple but it's meaningful. I've been fortunate in life so far and I try to appreciate that as best I can - spread a little positivity when possible. Being kind is super easy. 

8. What is the last book you read? Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

9. What's your favorite TV show? Stranger Things - Honorable mentions go to Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead (for better or worse; it's a long-term relationship and I'm determined to make it work).

10. What amazing thing did you do that no one was around to see? I don't know if this counts, but completing my first summit hike. At the time, I wanted to do it solo to prove some things to myself - feel a sense of individual accomplishment. Completing a long hike alone is an amazing experience. Completely disconnecting, forcing self-immersion in the journey and your surroundings. It's a beautiful thing and pretty amazing.

Would you like to make Coker College part of your story?